"You are so creative!" I have heard that phrase constantly since I was little. DIY, Refashioning, Crafting, Sewing, Woodworking. I love it all! Now I have a place to keep my favorite projects or ideas organized and share them with you!



Monday, August 15, 2011

Lucy Pevensie Narnia Costume

Round one of Costumes  at our place for 2011 Halloween! I made five costumes total last year for various family kiddos, so I need to get a head start on this years just in case!

Our kiddos have been nuts over the Chronicles of Narnia this summer. We have been reading the books at night and watching the old BBC versions of the movies so it didn't surprise me when they said they wanted to be Narnia Characters for Halloween.

I was pumped at the idea and knew exactly the dress I wanted to make. Lucy's dress from the newer Prince Caspian version of the films. Allie agreed it was a pretty cool Lucy Dress, especially with the dagger and medicine bottle on the belt.

(I do not own this photo)

Here is the one you can buy in costume stores for around $25-$50 dollars
(I do not own this photo either)

Which my daughter saw and totally hated. She thinks it looks nothing like Lucy's in the film photo,  which I tend to agree. Seriously does this Lucy look ready to help people in battle?? Um no, she looks ready for a tea party. If she wanted that kind of princess, she would have chosen Cinderella or something.
 
This meant I had my work cut out for me to make it look like the REAL dress Lucy had on.
But I was ready for the challenge!

I used some upholstery fabric I had in my stash for the dress sleeves and skirt. The bodice is a valance I bought thinking I would make it into a puff skirt, but I decided it was too perfect not to use for this.

Here is a close up of the fabrics.


And my my finished Lucy dress.


I also have a new use for my broken belt. A new hole and a trim down made the perfect fit.
 I still need to add the finishing touches of  a dagger and medicine bottle to her belt.
 But we have lots of time to thrift the perfect pieces to add.



I also added a little satchel I whipped together out of some brown vinyl fabric I had on hand as well.


She felt she needed to look reflective in her photos today. She is in an ok mood, just didn't think Lucy would smile so much when there is so much at stake in the story of Prince Caspian.


A nice shot of the backside for you.

While you are here click over and check out Prince Caspian's Costume and the King Peter Cosume.


Linking up here.

Tip Junkie handmade projects

14 comments:

  1. Awesome job Kara! I can't wait to see the others once they are done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!!! Great job!

    -Janelle
    homemadethisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I'm glad I'm not the only one who works on Halloween costumes so early. Kudos to the kiddos for wanting to Narnia characters. I loved those books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I'm a super fan of Narnia since childhood and I agree with you that that orange and white dress is definitely not a Lucy Pevensie outfit at all. I love the costume you made. Definitely more Narnian... more like Lucy's costume in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The costumes look absolutely gorgeous - you're very clever and Narnia is one of my favourite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you use a pattern? My daughter also wants to be Lucy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to be Lucy this year, too. I hate the manufactured costume shown at the top, and so my mom is going to make me one, as well. Thanks for this article! GREAT job!! It looks identical to the movie dress! We're going to have to look for the dagger and vial...that might be tricky, but we know how to hunt things out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ANONYMUS COSTUME SEARCHER.........

    I don't like your costume can't you get one for a 12 year old, intead of a baby???????? Look at this face side ways[turn to the left] here it is: :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. ANONYMUS COSTUME SEARCHER...............

    Actually it is kinda cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kara,

    My daughter wants me to make Lucy's dress for her for Halloween this summer and I came across your pictures while I was searching. You did a great job? Did you use a pattern for this or just make it up as you went along? I'm not finding much in the way of patterns. I could probably figure it out myself, but it would be much faster if there was a pattern available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Jenny @ The Southern Institute http://thesoutherninstitute.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have a pattern, I did just make it up. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

      Delete
  11. I'm 11 and I really want to be Lucy is there a tutorial and a name of the fabric you used because I really want to make one now that I've seen how amazing yours is!

    Thnx

    ReplyDelete
  12. would you make my daughter one? she has fallen in love with Narnia.

    ReplyDelete