"You are so creative!" I have heard that phrase constantly since I was little. DIY, Refashioning, Crafting, Sewing, Woodworking. I love it all! Now I have a place to keep my favorite projects or ideas organized and share them with you!



Thursday, April 22, 2010

Decorated Cupcake / Fruit Stands

Photobucket

When we had my son's first birthday it was important to us to have fruit displays and the look of food towers from traditional first Korean birthday parties, like the ones you can read about here. While keeping traditional Korean elements in mind I still wanted to make things myself and put our own family spin on things such as making our own towers made out of balloons.
I figured one easy way i can have the look of dol towers without making them and then just tossing them after the party, was to use these dessert towers I found at Walmart. Trust me these are the best! Good sized, good price, sturdy, and the pieces stack inside each other when taken apart, so they don't take up a huge amount of space compared to other cupcake stands or towers I looked at.
I was planning on using the stands for cupcakes, until I saw the fruit displayed on them on the front of the box they came in, then decided to display fruit on them instead for the ease of serving fruit and still having it in a tower like display. Plus I had another plan for the cupcakes.
Upon looking at the towers set up I decided they were a little bit on the boring side, plain white. So I went to work.

Photobucket

What you need:
Double sided tape
Scrapbook paper
Funky cut scissors of choice
Drill with drill bit.
Screw
Pineapple top

How?
using your funky cut scissors of choice cut strips of scrapbook paper leaving one side flat and one side patterned.
Using double sided tape attach the scrapbook paper to the edge of the tower. I used paper that matched the party colors and I also used the same paper to make the party banner so it tied in nicely.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Much more fun to look at don't you think?
Photobucket

Next take the top tier of the tower and drill a hole in the middle. Take a screw and screw it up through the hole.
Cut your top off your pineapple I left a bit on the bottom that was about the same diameter as the top of the tower. Twist the pineapple top down onto the screw making sure you are turning it the right way. If the screw turns you may have to use a screwdriver to hold it in place as you screw it into the pineapple.

Photobucket

Fill tower with fruit right before the party and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment